News:

LVCS.NET offers low cost domain registration services.

Main Menu

User List

Started by lotsofish, February 17, 2006, 08:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsofish

It would be cool if the user list pages ( http://services.freepgs.com/list.php ) only showed the accounts that actually had content on them. You could check the subdirectories to see if index.* exists. I was trying to cruise through some of the members pages to see what other people are doing here, but I found tons of accounts with nothing on them, or just some images uploaded.

Another cool thing would be a random user page. Kinda like how those autosurf things work. Load a small frame on the top that tells you the user you are viewing and an option to go to the next page. On the rest of the page, load that user's website.

I am interested in what other sites are hosted here and finding the coolest ones.  :)

I just signed up here 2 days ago.  My site's not finished yet, but you can take a look at it anyway.  http://www.wackyquote.com

Andrew

webzone (archived)

QuoteIt would be cool if the user list pages ( http://services.freepgs.com/list.php ) only showed the accounts that actually had content on them. You could check the subdirectories to see if index.* exists. I was trying to cruise through some of the members pages to see what other people are doing here, but I found tons of accounts with nothing on them, or just some images uploaded.

Some people use .htaccess to load different files and do not use index.*. It would not be an accurate way to check for activity.

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: webzone on February 17, 2006, 09:56:57 PM
QuoteIt would be cool if the user list pages ( http://services.freepgs.com/list.php ) only showed the accounts that actually had content on them. You could check the subdirectories to see if index.* exists. I was trying to cruise through some of the members pages to see what other people are doing here, but I found tons of accounts with nothing on them, or just some images uploaded.

Some people use .htaccess to load different files and do not use index.*. It would not be an accurate way to check for activity.

well those people are dumb. But lets be realistic, if there are no .html/.rhtml/.shtml/.php/.anything files then they're not doing anything but hosting images. I think it'd be fine if they had an annual or monthly charge, but a low one time fee to waste bandwidth just doesn't seem fair to the rest of us.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

dest

Yeah.  There are plenty of image hosting services that do the job fine. 
meh :P

webzone (archived)

Quotewell those people are dumb.

ahem, that's what i used to do :P

Seriously, I was using mod_rewrite to transfer all requests to a php script in a hidden folder that built the requested page on the fly. So, my site did not contain any index.*. I'm now using WordPress instead, but it works with a very similar principle. The only difference is that, instead of naming the script weirdly like I do, they just called it "index.php".

Quoteif there are no .html/.rhtml/.shtml/.php/.anything files then they're not doing anything but hosting images

What if they configured PHP to execute every file and used, let's say, ".scpt" as an extension? It would be a rare case, but still. It is quite hard to plan what people would do.

lotsofish

Well... this is getting off my main point.

Only checking for index.* could possibly leave some out. Checking for index.* or .htaccess would probably catch them all, although it's possible that someone has a file .htaccess that does nothing, so they would slip through, but that is likely to be rare. 

Anyway, back to the point... What I'd like to see is a way to view only the members pages that actually have content. Somehow weeding out the links to sites that have no meaningful content.

Andrew

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: webzone on February 18, 2006, 02:48:40 AM
Quotewell those people are dumb.

ahem, that's what i used to do :P

Seriously, I was using mod_rewrite to transfer all requests to a php script in a hidden folder that built the requested page on the fly. So, my site did not contain any index.*. I'm now using WordPress instead, but it works with a very similar principle. The only difference is that, instead of naming the script weirdly like I do, they just called it "index.php".

Quoteif there are no .html/.rhtml/.shtml/.php/.anything files then they're not doing anything but hosting images

What if they configured PHP to execute every file and used, let's say, ".scpt" as an extension? It would be a rare case, but still. It is quite hard to plan what people would do.

That's what I meant. If ther eare no .anything files and only .png/gif/jpg/swf etc. etc.  then they'r enot doing anything. ANd it'd be pointless for them to have htaccss treat an image extention as php 1. because it serves no purpose *, 2. because then tey couldn't use that image type anymore and 3. because they'd only be able to use notpad to edit it.

* I mean this loosely, I actually have found a wonderful use for PHP treating .png (or gif or jpeg) files as PHP content. :D Many forums and otehr online things will not let you use the image link for a .php file, so you can have htaccess in a certain folder read .pngs as PHP and tehn make an image creation script that does your PHP stuff (Liek send you an Email when it's viewd ot display the user's browser)

Quote from: lotsofish on February 18, 2006, 03:31:09 AM
Well... this is getting off my main point.

Only checking for index.* could possibly leave some out. Checking for index.* or .htaccess would probably catch them all, although it's possible that someone has a file .htaccess that does nothing, so they would slip through, but that is likely to be rare. 

Anyway, back to the point... What I'd like to see is a way to view only the members pages that actually have content. Somehow weeding out the links to sites that have no meaningful content.

Andrew

well one thing's for sure, it's NOT impossible to search foe all teh site sthat have an index page and really, who cares about the other people? I doubt 90% of teh people don't have index pages and if tehy don't then boohoo, you won't get to see their site, I don't think we shoudl sit and worry about .htaccess and people without indexes etc. But sometimes I like to look at site even if tehy don't have content so I can see if tehy have illegal files etc. Because when it comes to bandwidth hogs I'm a major narc.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

dest

Quote from: sixthcrusifix on February 19, 2006, 04:12:46 AM
* I mean this loosely, I actually have found a wonderful use for PHP treating .png (or gif or jpeg) files as PHP content. :D Many forums and otehr online things will not let you use the image link for a .php file, so you can have htaccess in a certain folder read .pngs as PHP and tehn make an image creation script that does your PHP stuff (Liek send you an Email when it's viewd ot display the user's browser)

You can also just name the directory something like img.png, and it will work fine.  Put an index.php in the directory, and everything loads great.  Or you could use mod_rewrite to make a certain address load a different file, I think.
meh :P