News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Can't login to manage databases on new mysql5.freepgs.com server

Started by podunk, August 25, 2006, 11:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podunk

I just created 4 databases on the new mysql5.freepgs.com server, but when I click on the MG link next to them and enter the username and password, the username and password is not accepted and I am denied access. I have checked the username and password carefully and I am definitely entering it correctly. Is there a problem with the mysql5.freepgs.com server? Also, is there any way to create new databases on the old localhost server?

admin

This has been corrected.  (You will need to recreate the databases)

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

podunk

Thank you - it works now. Is there any way to create databases on the old localhost server?

admin

No, all new databases will be created on the remote database server.  As more users move their databases over to the new server, the performance will increase on this system.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

podunk

I see. I have a lot of databases on the old localhost server and now some on the new server - I would prefer them all to run on the same server. Is there a simple way to transfer all my databases on the old server to the new server (without stuffing them up)?

admin

You will need to dump each of the databases, and recreate them on the new server.

You really should consider using less databases.  (Using multiple tables in each database).  You currently have 113 databases.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

podunk

Each of the databases is for a different project, so all are required. I will dump them when I have some time one day so they all run on the new server. Cheers.

Evilsprouts

113 databases wow no wonder the server is running slow, sort it out man.

dest

Quote from: podunk on August 29, 2006, 11:37:28 PM
Each of the databases is for a different project, so all are required. I will dump them when I have some time one day so they all run on the new server. Cheers.

Ever heard of table prefixes?  You could have one database with 113 different prefixes
meh :P

podunk

Quote from: Evilsprouts on August 30, 2006, 06:48:16 PM
113 databases wow no wonder the server is running slow, sort it out man.

Can't see how having multiple databases slows the server... if I had one database with a thousand tables being hit hundreds of times it's the same amount of traffic as a hundred databases being hit once, isn't it?

podunk

Quote from: dest on August 30, 2006, 07:42:46 PM
Quote from: podunk on August 29, 2006, 11:37:28 PM

Ever heard of table prefixes?  You could have one database with 113 different prefixes

With different usernames and passwords for each prefix?

admin

The more databases that exist on a server, the more directories are in the database data directory itself.

Other than that, it does not cause a direct performance problem.  After a certain number of directories, fetching directory information becomes slower (for operations like "SHOW DATABASES")

This should be less of an issue with the new dedicated database server as it is not sharing the file system with other applications.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin