News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

More Problems

Started by admin, October 17, 2014, 08:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

We are facing more and more problems with spam, exploited sites, phishing emails, emails contain viruses, constantly being blacklisted, etc.

We will no longer be able to provide this service due to all of these constant issues.

Starting next year, we will be forced to scale back operations.  We will be going through payments to determine the number of accounts paid beyond the end of this year to be sure we continue offering service to those accounts or process a refund.

009nightfire

This is sad news though understandable. Does this mean that Freepgs is slowly going to be wound down?

From the topic posted earlier this year on the same subject, http://forum.freepgs.com/index.php?topic=2084.0, the task looked quite daunting to me; getting the balance between keeping things running for competent web-masters against, almost a parental role, on the users that are leaving their sites open to malicious misuse.

Personally I would really hate to see Freepgs go, I have been here almost since the beginning you guys have always gone above and beyond on the level of service that you provide.

admin

Quote from: 009nightfire on October 17, 2014, 10:22:53 PM
This is sad news though understandable. Does this mean that Freepgs is slowly going to be wound down?

From the topic posted earlier this year on the same subject, http://forum.freepgs.com/index.php?topic=2084.0, the task looked quite daunting to me; getting the balance between keeping things running for competent web-masters against, almost a parental role, on the users that are leaving their sites open to malicious misuse.

Personally I would really hate to see Freepgs go, I have been here almost since the beginning you guys have always gone above and beyond on the level of service that you provide.

Users have got better, but unfortunately, it only takes a few to cause problems.

liveuk

The new cpanel server has some very cool spam blocking and other tools to stop this it's amazing.
I think the people behind Freepgs.com are clearly managing the problem and it will soon be resolved completely.

It even has a "Prove your human" system on the email which would stop all spam but then you would not get emails from auto "reset your password" sites unless you put them in it's whitelist.

But having said that Apache Spam Assassin build in it's not even an issue anymore.

Mike

admin

Our goal will be to either have everyone migrated over to cPanel/CloudLinux servers (which solves this as well as allowing one site to slow everyone else down) OR at least attempt to upgrade all servers to Plesk 12.x which offers similar email limiting options.

Email is only half of the problem, the other half is when sites are spamvertised via another source put point to our servers.  (Along with phishing sites being uploaded to users sites because they are not keeping their scripts up to date, do not use strong passwords, do not have proper permissions set, or their passwords were compromised (the case for mail being sent from someone's account).

markjay

Thats sad to hear that other users just use this great service for spamming and they do not maintain their scripts for such purpose. Hope that we can have a best solution to this problem. I do not want to see FreePgs.com of going as this is the best hosting I have ever been. Cheers!

jazzyman

Quote from: admin on October 17, 2014, 08:54:16 PM
We are facing more and more problems with spam, exploited sites, phishing emails, emails contain viruses, constantly being blacklisted, etc.

We will no longer be able to provide this service due to all of these constant issues.

Starting next year, we will be forced to scale back operations.  We will be going through payments to determine the number of accounts paid beyond the end of this year to be sure we continue offering service to those accounts or process a refund.

Does this mean that the freepgs services are to stop in 2015?  If so, perhaps an official notification should be sent out to the website administrators so that alternative provisions can be arranged if needs be?

admin

We don't plan on stopping services in 2015.  If anything, we may need to move to different providers in some areas.