News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

I want a forum for my site, suggestions ?

Started by jonano, March 13, 2006, 08:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonano

Hello,

I want a free forum for my site www.futurism.biz, do you suggest me one? Which url ? Can you help me to install it ?

--Jonathan
jonano@gmail.com

pythonpoole

Well freepgs has PHPBB as the recommended forum to install on their list.

These are the most popular:
PHPBB - PHP Bulletin Board (Not very advanced, lacks some features, for the most part easy to use and free)
IPB - Invision Power Board (Quite advanced, lots of features, requires purchase of a license to use new version)
SMF - Simple Machines Forum (This is the forums you are using right now, so you can decide if you like it or not, free as far as i know)

Installing is easy if you know what you're doing, but if you're new to building sites and installing PHP scripts etc it may be hard for you to understand. Basically you download their forum from their website. Upload onto your site. Open the install page. Follow the installation instructions. It may (will) ask you to "chmod" a directory or file when you're installing. You can use either the Freepgs File Manager or the Freepgs Net2FTP file manager to do this. If not come back here and we'll help you with that. You'll also need to know how to create a mysql database (this is very simple, just a couple of clicks in the admin panel of your freepgs account)

webzone (archived)

QuoteIt may (will) ask you to "chmod" a directory or file when you're installing. You can use either the Freepgs File Manager or the Freepgs Net2FTP file manager to do this.

The chmod step can be safely ignored unless you are on Plesk.

dest

IPB 1.3 is still free and legal to use, and most likely 99.9% exploit-free.  I like it more than the others.
meh :P

webzone (archived)

Quoteand most likely 99.9% exploit-free

Hmm... even though I like IPB a lot, it is not safe at all to use the old version 1.3. Secunia reports several unpatched vulnerabilities going from privilege escalation to system access.

Daniel

I have always been a fan of phpBB.  They are simple to set up and easy to use.  Simple Machine Forums is my second choice.

jonano

Hi,

I uploaded all the files here: on /forum

but now I get an error page here:

http://www.futurism.biz/forum/upgrade.php

can you help inform me ?

dest

You downloaded the files for upgrading to SMF from a previous installation.  You want the files located here
meh :P