News:

The "Support Requests" forum is now viewable by guests.

Main Menu

WordPress "Visual Rich Editor" Missing!?

Started by Christopher123, March 08, 2006, 03:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher123

Howdy,
The visual rich editor available in WordPress 2.0 for writing posts is missing from my site. Instead, I have "quicktags" shown, even though I have the visual rich editor enabled. I have tried re-installing WordPress a half-dozen times already and every time I've had the same problem. My best guess is that this is a server-side issue concerning the PHP installation, but that still seems unlikely. Please help!

webzone (archived)

The WordPress editor works fine on my website, so it is not a problem with the server. However, WordPress only shows the rich editor in compatible browsers.

Compatible browsers are:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, versions 5 and up
- Mozilla Firefox, version 1.0 and up
- Mozilla Suite 1.7 or Netscape 7.2

The editor won't also display if you have disabled Javascript (obviously), or if you deny access to the wp-includes directory.

Christopher123

Okay, it's good to hear it's not a server problem. However, my site and browser meets all those requirements but the "visual rich" editor still does not appear. Here is my current setup:

- Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.1
- JavaScript Enabled
- wp-includes Permissions set at 755 (rwxr-xr-x)

What could be the problem...? Thanks!

geminigeek

You can try enable visual rich editor in both options and personal page.

Go to Options -> Writing
Under formating, Check "Users should use the visual rich editor by default"

Then, go to User
Under Personal Option, Check "Use Visual Editor When Writing"

I am using Firefox 1.5 with default settings. Works wonder.

Christopher123

Both of those options are already checked. Is it possible I may have installed WordPress wrong? I've re-installed it several times, but I did it the same way every time. Here is my WordPress installation process:

1. Download WordPress archive from wordpress.org.
2. Unzip to a new folder on the desktop.
3. Open the FreePgs Online FTP File Manager to root directory in Firefox.
4. Click "Java Upload" and open the unzipped WordPress folder.
5. Highlight all files inside the folder and click upload.
6. Run install.php inside wp-admin folder.

Do I need to enable something in my FreePgs account besides PHP? Thanks for all your help!

dest

Maybe the java upload does something funky to it.  Try uploading with a real FTP program, like Filezilla.
meh :P

Christopher123

Quote from: dest on March 09, 2006, 11:27:07 PM
Maybe the java upload does something funky to it.  Try uploading with a real FTP program, like Filezilla.

Thank you, dest! I used Filezilla and now it works perfectly! You're right, the Java upload must be doing something funky to the files. Thank you again! You have been so much help!