News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

EMERGENCY

Started by pythonpoole, March 06, 2006, 08:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pythonpoole

Emergency. Admins please help me immediately, all my files have been deleted today!!!! Everything!!! there are only 2 files left in my account.

And look at this, it wasn't me or someone who logged into the control panel cause my status check still says i have 60something mb i've used yet there are only 2 tiny files and my whole site is gone!

Please help, Please don't tell me that for a second time everything is gone!

Evilsprouts

Use the contact form mate they will get back to you faster that way and BACKUP!!!

webzone (archived)

No files disappeared in any of my accounts, so, if all your files are still missing, it probably means that someone found your password and deleted everything.

QuoteAnd look at this, it wasn't me or someone who logged into the control panel cause my status check still says i have 60something

Notice it doesn't display the number of files. You could be using 60mb (i guess that's what you meant) only with a file full of spaces.

As you know there are no backups, so I hope that it was only an FTP error or that you have a copy of those files. And probably the best advice would be to use difficult passwords (personally I open notepad and I push hard on every part of the keyboard to produce a series of random characters).

pythonpoole

Please not when I said it says 60something i meant the status bar for my storage usage says about 65mb when there are only two tiny files left in my account that are under a few kb! Before the deletion I had been using 60 soemthing mb.

Please I would like to know exactly what happened, and If I don't get an answer I'm going to have to ask that freepgs carrys out an investigation.

I believe either
1) freepgs itself was hacked and was able to delete my files
2) freepgs has accidently (or maybe purposely) deleted my files

I do not believe someone has my password because of its strength, length, randomness and complexity and even if they did manage to have it, I cannot see why the storage status bar would still say 60mb.

dest

Make sure you change your password now, just in case ;)

Connect to the FTP and make sure that the files are actually deleted, compared to being CHMODed funny. 

If someone hacked it, they probably wouldn't have left those two files (a gif and a txt)
Unless they're hinting at something (conspiracy theory time!).  Perhaps the File Upload Manager script was exploited.

meh :P

pythonpoole

Ok now the storage bar updated indicating i do have <0.1mb of files which is unfotunrately correct:(

So if it wasn't a hacking  what was it.

I went on my website this morning no problem, about 45 min later i noticed an image i hosted from my site didn't load so I checked my site to see if freepgs was down and then i saw that www.scorpionsoftware.org only shows a directory with 2 files!!! :O everything gone

for me this is another fire! even worse since I've worked even harder after the fire to have a really good site.. and you guessed it I never took the trouble to backup much.

admin

No other user accounts lost files.  Be sure you were not using any CMS or Forum scripts on your site.  (If you were, be sure you have updated to the latest version and have set all permissions correctly)

In any case, you should always be keeping backup copies of your site.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: pythonpoole on March 07, 2006, 12:49:47 AM
Ok now the storage bar updated indicating i do have <0.1mb of files which is unfotunrately correct:(

So if it wasn't a hacking  what was it.

I went on my website this morning no problem, about 45 min later i noticed an image i hosted from my site didn't load so I checked my site to see if freepgs was down and then i saw that www.scorpionsoftware.org only shows a directory with 2 files!!! :O everything gone

for me this is another fire! even worse since I've worked even harder after the fire to have a really good site.. and you guessed it I never took the trouble to backup much.

I'm very sorry to hear of this loss and if there are any graphic designing needs that I can help you with or PHP advice (eh.. you might wanna ask webzone about PHP stuff) I'd be glad to help you out. However, knowing that we've had a fire and seeing the superfluous backup warnings strollled throughout teh site I cannot have a lot of sympathy for you for not backing up your site.

My suggestion is to build yoursite AT HOME and save to your hard disk first, then upload with FTP to test files etc. Dreamweaver makes this task extremely easy, but I've done this with filezilla too.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

Osprey

pythonpoole - Unfortionate, i'm sure i've visited your site sevral times before (Am a member of the GMC)