News:

The "Support Requests" forum is now viewable by guests.

Main Menu

Can't delete files or folders, Please help!

Started by Ren, January 29, 2006, 11:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren

I was installing some mods on my site and it told me to cmod some things to 0777. I thought this was wrong but that is what it said so I did it anyway. Well it took my owner premissions and I don't do anything with it at all. Now I get errors because of it. I tried to cmod it again and I also tried to delete it and I just get this message......

Request denied.
Verify that the file or folder exists and that you have the necessary permissions on the server to perform the requested operation

That do I do to solve my problem.

Thanks,
Ren

sixthcrusifix

there is no 0777. when you did that it probably cut the last character off and you chmoded to 077, I don't even know if that exists normaly but I'm assuming 0 means no rights and YOU are that first place. I dunno what to tell you, it meant 777, not 0777.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

webzone (archived)

Quotethere is no 0777. when you did that it probably cut the last character off and you chmoded to 077, I don't even know if that exists normaly but I'm assuming 0 means no rights and YOU are that first place. I dunno what to tell you, it meant 777, not 0777.

Actually, the UNIX chmod tool and the PHP chmod function request a four digit mode like 0777. The first digit set the execution mode and the sticky bit, while the three others are, as you know, for the owner, the group and then everyone. I'm not sure about the FTP protocol, though.

Ren

Well any which way I took away the owner permissions and now I can't do anything with it.

webzone (archived)

My only recommendation is to use the contact form to request assistance. Be sure to provide the name of the files/folders you want to delete.

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: webzone on January 29, 2006, 07:21:00 PM
Quotethere is no 0777. when you did that it probably cut the last character off and you chmoded to 077, I don't even know if that exists normaly but I'm assuming 0 means no rights and YOU are that first place. I dunno what to tell you, it meant 777, not 0777.

Actually, the UNIX chmod tool and the PHP chmod function request a four digit mode like 0777. The first digit set the execution mode and the sticky bit, while the three others are, as you know, for the owner, the group and then everyone. I'm not sure about the FTP protocol, though.

oh well whenever I chmod with dreamweaver for coffecup FTP it only asks me for three.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com