News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

FTP problems

Started by cheeseball, December 02, 2005, 05:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeseball

Hi all,
I am not able to use WS_FTP to connect to my accounts on freepgs.  I am using ftp.freepgs.com on port 21 with the correct user names and passwords and I still can not connect.  I keep getting an error that says, "Connection Timed out".  Could it be that my internet (56k) is to slow to connect to your ftp server?   

Thanks for your help,
cheeseball
Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas!

Ben

FTP seems to be working for me.

Do you have a firewall blocking WS_FTP?
--Ben
Ben@freepgs.com

cheeseball

Boy do I feel like a n00b...lol.   Thanks for pointing out my moment of idiotcy.  8)

cheeseball
Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas!

Ben

The obvious problem is the hardest to find.  ;)

--Ben
Ben@freepgs.com

sixthcrusifix

don't feel totaly dumb it's not ALWAYS the firewall. With 4400+ users and a LOT of them connecting by FTP things get jammed up A LOT. Unless it's about 12:00 AM - 3: 00 AM I can't upload anything bigger than 4 MB via FTP or my connection with freepgs dies and the other day the connection just died and I had to wait 15 minutes for it to start working again.  Unfortunately ftp is just th ebest way to manage/build your site from your computer (the best way to manage yso you have backups) but if you're going to upload big files you actually may want to use the online manager and a browser like opera because opera tells you how many KB of data its sending somewhere.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

webzone (archived)

The online file manager connects using FTP anyway.

My website is hosted here since summer 2004 and I've never ever had any problem connecting with FTP, and I always use it at different times.

ghost

I havn't had problems with FTP since the fire at least.
- Ghost -

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: webzone on December 03, 2005, 06:34:15 AM
The online file manager connects using FTP anyway.

My website is hosted here since summer 2004 and I've never ever had any problem connecting with FTP, and I always use it at different times.

N Oit doesn't unless it lies.

Manage Files
Online File Manager
(Faster, but no archive upload options)

Online FTP File Manager
(Slower, connects via FTP, allows archive uploads)

There are 2 online file managers. One doesn't use FTP and when FTP is screwy it's the only way I've been able to upload big files.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

webzone (archived)

oops. I almost never use the online file managers. I only remembered the Net-FTP (or something like that) file manager that I used some time ago.

admin

There is no problem with the FTP service.

To upload large files you must use FTP with a client, not one of the file managers (such as the "Online FTP File Manager")

The FTP server is not loaded.  Users can connect during any time of the day.

Please check your computer, firewall, and/or internet connection.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin