News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Server too slow

Started by giovifranco, October 30, 2006, 02:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giovifranco

Why server in the morning is so slow? It's very very slow while in the evening it seems to be ok! In this way it's impossible for me to work, i need a faster server for navigation, my site open a pege in 1 o 2 minutes with fast internet connection. Can you resolve this problem? Thanks

brainiac744

I can't think of a time that it ever goes that slowly for me, but the reason it is faster at some times and slower at others is because the traffic on the server isn't steady, at certain times of the day it peaks. And no, there's not really anything that can be done about it (other than you moving to a more expensive host).

bookish

The response time has been painfully slow for the past few hours. One page request timed out. I don't know if this is a problem only for users in Europe.

bonehead

The server has like 5,000+ accounts on it, plus it doesn't help with spammers running their crap from it also.

bookish

For a very long time I've been using www.StatCounter.com to track visitors to my site. About a week ago I uploaded SlimStat because it records search engine crawlers. StatCounter fetches a JavaScript file from an external server, while SlimStat uses PHP and MySQL on the FreePgs "mysql5.freepgs.com" server.

Over the one week period, StatCounter consistently recorded more Unique Visitors and Page Views. As I said in another post a while ago, if FreePgs enabled SQLite support in PHP5 it would free us from reliance on an overloaded MySQL server. The new phpBB3 forum software can use SQLite.

brainiac744

I think StatCounter relies on cookies to record unique hits...

SlimStat probably uses IP addresses? (which is more reliable by the way)

bookish

Yes, SlimStat uses IP addresses. I removed the include statement for SlimStat and the pages load much faster, so I think it may have been a MySQL issue.

mmn

The server is extremely slow right now for me.  It took over 15 refreshes to load this forum page as it was timing out every time.  My site was also consistently timing out, even simple HTML pages without mySQL or PHP usage.  Someone must be abusing the server.  I don't mind too much if it goes slow every once and a while since I am not paying much but I don't like when it times out as visitors leave my site.

brainiac744

I don't seem to be having any trouble loading pages?

bonehead

Once all of the free accounts are gone, maybe that will help.

bookish

Pageloads are desperately slow at the moment. The forum loads slowly too. I'm wondering if this is a time-of-day problem. Maybe there's someone who deliberately chooses to overload the server while USA citizens are asleep in bed. I hoped this sort of problem would come to an end once free accounts were removed.

brainiac744

I'm not having any problem loading pages (granted this was posted ~2 hours ago).

bookish

brainiac744 > I'm not having any problem loading pages

You've made unhelpful responses like that before. If it's not happening when when you try to access a page, why bother to reply? You're not helping anyone who is experiencing the problem. It's an intermittent problem, by the way.

brainiac744

I am helping by defining some point as the end point of the problem. That way it's easier to look back over the logs between two certain time periods, not from one time period on.

brainiac744

Well, I thought I'd try to be "helpful" and chime in to say that mysql seems to be sluggish, and barely responding right now. Other pages seem to be working fine. Both my site and this forum are affected.