News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

CSS

Started by Evilsprouts, April 21, 2006, 05:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guide

QuoteSo to anybody who can afford dreamweaver and codes in notepad just because, I say to you, you're just being silly.

I could afford Dreamweaver, but I really don't think the advantages are worth the expense. I've been using Notepad++ since I began coding, and with a well-organized code you can change your layout quickly enough, I think.
A friend of mine does use Dreamweaver, and I saw him work on a website... And I wasn't really impressed. So I decided that paying for not being silly wasn't worth the price ;)

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: Guide on May 10, 2006, 10:56:10 AM
QuoteSo to anybody who can afford dreamweaver and codes in notepad just because, I say to you, you're just being silly.

I could afford Dreamweaver, but I really don't think the advantages are worth the expense. I've been using Notepad++ since I began coding, and with a well-organized code you can change your layout quickly enough, I think.
A friend of mine does use Dreamweaver, and I saw him work on a website... And I wasn't really impressed. So I decided that paying for not being silly wasn't worth the price ;)

Well It's not for everyone just because programs usually aren't. There are still people who maybe would just do better with something simple and short. However dreamweaver really does have a lot of wonderful features. Especialy when you're coding in PHP. The Color Coding alone is almost worth it loll, but if you don't wanna pay for dreamweaver I suggest Crimson Editor, a WONDFERFUL Solution to notepad. It's way better than notepad, it has a few of the coller features of DreamWeaver (Color coding, different language presets, error checking etc.) AND It's FREE!

The FIND/REPLACE Feature in DreamWeaver is unmatched though, it's SO convenient - and the find feature in notepad is SO incnvenient, just bugs teh hell outta me.

Anyway here's what I reccomend:

Hand Coding: Crimson Editor.
Hand Coding + Media Developement and advanced CSS: Dreamweaver.
Stupidity or Extreme Intelegence: Notepad.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

Guide

I have a feeling there's something of a confusion here...
I'm talking about the program Notepad++, not the simple notepad of microsoft. Notepad++ does have syntaxic coloration in multiple languages, find/replace facilities, and all the necessary stuff which makes hand-made coding easy...
I don't know about Crimson Editor though ; I'll have a look.

lotsofish

Sorry, I just feel the need to  ::)

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: Guide on May 10, 2006, 06:31:16 PM
I have a feeling there's something of a confusion here...
I'm talking about the program Notepad++, not the simple notepad of microsoft. Notepad++ does have syntaxic coloration in multiple languages, find/replace facilities, and all the necessary stuff which makes hand-made coding easy...
I don't know about Crimson Editor though ; I'll have a look.

ooh, I've neve rheard of Notepad++. I'll have to look that up too. I use crimson editor when I need to check a php file fast because dreamweaver is a big progam that takes a while to load and uses up about 200 MB of RAM while it's running.

dest

meh :P

hypnoticvibe

If only people took the time to get a feel for the Visual Interface (VI) editor on every UNIX/Linux...
You can set up every line of code as a shortcut and design 90% of a page in 2 minutes (completely avoid typos too). There's too many features about it to just rant a big list. There's so much power that 5% would entirely spam this thread because the possibilities are so immensely, astoundingly, abundantly incredulous (lol).
There's nothing like it!
telnet://sdf.lonestar.org
Put this in your browser for a free UNIX shell account if you want one.
VI editor tutorials are easily found on any popular search engine.

Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 09, 2006, 04:30:32 AM
Quote from: Evilsprouts on May 05, 2006, 05:37:04 PM
Quote from: geminigeek on May 05, 2006, 05:30:48 PM
ttry this in ur css

#bottom p.footer {
font-size: 10px;
}

and make sure it is at the bottom most of your css

Fantastic thanks allot  ;D ;D ;D

A LOT, 2 words, one L. Sorry but that's a pet peve of mine.

Why should you never use pt?  I never do but what is the reason not to?

Quote from: brainiac744 on May 09, 2006, 08:23:25 PM
Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 09, 2006, 04:30:32 AM
Why should you never use pt?  I never do but what is the reason not to?

I can't think of a reason not to. PT just stands for points and it's a perfectly valid option to use, just like px, in, cm, mm, or a number of other acceptable units :)

W3c says, "Do not specify the font-size in pt, or other absolute length units. They render inconsistently across platforms and can't be resized by the User Agent (e.g browser)."
Good Usage of CSS's font properties

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: dest on May 11, 2006, 10:08:18 PM
I like Notepad 2 better

I LOVE what notepad 2 does to my parenthesis and brackets!! Thanks for the link!

hypnoticvibe

UltraEdit is not free but along the lines of Notepad++, Notepad 2, Crimson Editor... no competition. It's the one these others copied off of.

Forgive my extremely lazy screenshot (I'm nutorious for this) but look... you can expand and collapse functions and such. Imagine how quick you can rip through your JS, PHP, Perl...

neosquared

Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 04, 2006, 02:19:00 AM
...as long as your website displays properly in the 3 major Browsers (Firefox, IE and Netscape[and maybe safari too])...
*ahem*  I'm afraid I just can't let that slip past.
First, allow me to point you in the direction of some statistics.
Now, for my favorite part, the smug-apple-fanboy-bliss.  :D
As you may notice, internationally, Safari ha 2.02%, and Netscape has a (pitiful) 0.15%.  Ouch.
Also worthy of note is that the Netherlands is the only place where Netscape hasn't lost ground since january.  Double ouch.

As you may also notice, internationally, as well as in all the places they list, the top three browsers ar IE, Firefox, and Safari, in that order, with Netscape coming in at #5 every single time.

I dare say that that puts Netscape clearly out of the big 5, and Safari in.  :)

Just my two cents.
Don't take servers for granted.
Everything is flammable, if you get it hot enough.
Visit my website!  It'll make you cooler!

hypnoticvibe

Quote from: neosquared on May 14, 2006, 01:36:08 AM

Just my two cents.
Netscape is out. You got my 2 cents as well. (whoever keeps getting two cents is going to get some serious cash one day, can I be the receiver?) ;)

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: neosquared on May 14, 2006, 01:36:08 AM
Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 04, 2006, 02:19:00 AM
...as long as your website displays properly in the 3 major Browsers (Firefox, IE and Netscape[and maybe safari too])...
*ahem*  I'm afraid I just can't let that slip past.
First, allow me to point you in the direction of some statistics.
Now, for my favorite part, the smug-apple-fanboy-bliss.  :D
As you may notice, internationally, Safari ha 2.02%, and Netscape has a (pitiful) 0.15%.  Ouch.
Also worthy of note is that the Netherlands is the only place where Netscape hasn't lost ground since january.  Double ouch.

As you may also notice, internationally, as well as in all the places they list, the top three browsers ar IE, Firefox, and Safari, in that order, with Netscape coming in at #5 every single time.

Just my two cents.

Well really the only reason I included eitehr was because I liked the number 3. The only 2 important browsers to even give a rip about are IE and Firefox.

Evilsprouts

Another basic css question:

Basically I have 3 columns and how ever many rows and I want to border them and make it look like each word is in a cell

|         |          |
Data| Data1| Data 2|
Etc

Bust I'm really struggling please help me???

Thanks

GP™

Whats your prob? That the links are still bold?
In each <A tag add class="footer"

that would be a easy fix, but unless i know your exact prob I cant help you.

Evilsprouts

Quote from: gordon on May 29, 2006, 01:05:18 AM
Whats your prob? That the links are still bold?
In each <A tag add class="footer"

that would be a easy fix, but unless i know your exact prob I cant help you.
Links?????? My question has nothing to do with links lol.

Basically I want to create a css table.