News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Moveable Type cannot create directories - Permissions problem ?

Started by FaeLLe, April 14, 2006, 04:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaeLLe

Well basically the blogging system is having troubles creating a directory wondering if it is some kind of permission error.

It asks for a Site Root to publish in and expects prefferably a absolute path or relative path.

For absolute path it detected:- /fpgs/fpgshttpd/vikrammohan
and I also tried relative path:- /

But it gives the error,

Error: Movable Type was not able to create a directory for publishing your weblog. If you create this directory yourself, assign sufficient permissions that allow Movable Type to create files within it.

At the moment I chmoded the installation to 755 so perl and cgi scripts can execute correct. What could be the reason it is not able to create directories ?

Thanks,

- FaeLLe

FaeLLe

Also tried chmoding the mt.cgi file to 775 and 777 both cases it says cannot create directory :s

admin

775 or 777 should allow MT to create files within the directory properly.

Be sure you have specified the correct path for the location you are attempting to create the folder.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

FaeLLe

Hello,

According to post follow up help from http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/forums/index.php?s=a28c86f7462cac83d1ab7954476e8592&showtopic=57599&st=0&#entry238467 which asked me to refer to the manual page at http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/kb/rebuilds/writing_to_file.html the error is not because of path but only permissions :s

They asked me to ask if,

QuoteAlso, you should ask your web host if your webserver runs as your user or as a generic webserver user. If it's running as a generic ID, then you would need to have the permissions more open to allow Movable Type to create files and directories.

However I know it doesnt create files as my webuser id and uses a generic one. But chmoding the files to 777 should have let it happen which is wierd.

If i pm you my MT admin u/p you will see what I mean....

admin

Be sure you are chmoding the FOLDERS you need to script to write into, not just the files that are already in the folder.

The folder should be chmod'd to 775 or better.  All files do not need to be set to 777, only files/folders that need write access should be set to 775.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

FaeLLe

Quote from: admin on April 15, 2006, 04:15:36 AM
Be sure you are chmoding the FOLDERS you need to script to write into, not just the files that are already in the folder.

The folder should be chmod'd to 775 or better.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

But I want to run the blog in my root folder how do I make my whole user directory chmod 755 ?

Can you do that for me from shell ? My FreePGS username is:- vikrammohan

Thanks...

admin

Your user directory is already 755 (the default).

If you want all of your files chmod'd to 755 (or 775 as required to allow write access to them), please let me know and we can do this for you.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

FaeLLe

Quote from: admin on April 15, 2006, 04:19:09 AM
Your user directory is already 755 (the default).

If you want all of your files chmod'd to 755 (or 775 as required to allow write access to them), please let me know and we can do this for you.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

Please do try make the user director and all files 775 to see if it resolve the problem.

Will it make any security compromises if you just make them 777 ?

admin

I have updated the permissions of all files to 775.  (The root directory itself still remains at 755)

Many times, CGI will not allow writing to files that are 777 when suexec is used for security reasons.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

FaeLLe

Bless you Mr. admin ! It is working now...

Thank you loads and hope you enjoy your Easter !!!!

Appreciate your time very much !