News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Outdated scripts cannot be tolerated

Started by admin, December 19, 2013, 02:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

As a reminder, outdated scripts cannot be tolerated on these accounts, especially if the version you are using is known to have exploits that allow files to be uploaded into your space or if it allows massive amounts of mail to be sent.

If anyone is running a WordPress installation earlier than 3.7.1, you face account suspension.  Please keep all of your scripts up to date!

If there are scripts on your site that you are no longer using, be sure to remove the files from your site.  Keeping old files around that are unused is a great way to get your site hacked (when there is a vulnerability in those old versions that are just sitting there).

When running PHP under FastCGI, remember that these scripts run under your context, so they have access to any file in your account.  Running PHP under Apache Module gives you the previous behavior, however, it is not a replacement to updated scripts, as the script can still access any of your files set to 666/777 in the same manner.

#Part Two

Another problem we face with certain users is using more than their fair share of resources.  This creates a slower service for everyone.  If your site uses more than 30% of the resources (CPU/memory) of any server on an on-going basis, your account faces suspension.  If your site is this popular, you need to think about hosting it on a dedicated server with another provider, not on a shared $10-30 per year hosting service.

We provide this service as a cheap way to get websites online, however, there are some users that always abuse our service.

Speedline Z

Is there a way we can check to see how much resources we are using?  i doubt my usage is excessive, since my sites are targeted for a small group of people, but it would be nice to know how much we are using.

admin

Send a message to helpdesk at freepgs dot com (or plesk at lvcs dot net if you cannot send a message to the helpdesk) and provide your username and server name.  We can then check this out for you.

You are most likely not using excessive resources if you have never been contacted by us before.

Just be sure you are running the latest version of any scripts on your site and that you are not keeping old versions around in /old directories (for example) as those older versions of scripts such as WordPress are being exploited.

Quote from: Speedline Z on December 23, 2013, 04:37:43 AM
Is there a way we can check to see how much resources we are using?  i doubt my usage is excessive, since my sites are targeted for a small group of people, but it would be nice to know how much we are using.