News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Problems with mysql

Started by roco, July 18, 2007, 12:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roco

I know that mysql5 is under update.

Half of my DB just suddendly  vanished, i want to know if it possible to recover it.

looie

A drive was failing so they removed it until they get a new one on friday, so they might have backed it all up, and you'll just have to wait. Wait for tech support to confirm this though, cause I might be wrong.

brainiac744

As far as I'm aware, freepgs doesn't do ANY backups of user data, and in the past they've made it very clear that it is up to each individual user to backup any important files or databases.

That being said, the RAID array is running in degraded mode because of the failed drive, so all hope isn't entirely lost, but if you can't see part of the data perhaps you should be looking for a backup and backing up what is left of it?

bruno2

my phpbb forum can not connect to the database,,i hope freepgs have a backup,,plz can somebody confirm,,or must i make a new install becoz i dont have a backup.

thnxx

OLG

Hey, despite not being a member of freepgs staff i can confirm the following:

Freepgs do not perform backups of user data
- However in this case they will attempt to retrieve as much data as they can (according to admin)

Both hard disks in the MYSQL5 server RAID array have now failed (according to admin)

In most cases, the data on the MySQL5 server should not be lost.  We are attempting to run a chkdsk operation on the drive now to see if any of the "missing" files can be recovered.  [Hopefully, most users will not have any missing tables or data]

Once this new drive is in, the array will be rebuilt.  The array is not able to keep up with demands at this time.  Attempted access may result in data loss.  Once the first failed drive is replaced, we will replace the second drive to ensure we have two good drives on the system.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

dragonqueen

Has either drive been replaced yet? ???

OLG

One has, but cannot withstand the strain, also, read the message on the freepgs homepage.

QuoteMySQL5 Database Failure 
Both hard disks have failed on the MySQL5 database server. We are waiting for the second failed drive to be replaced. We will most likely not be able to recover any data from the drives.

mstram

Quote from: OLG on July 20, 2007, 08:22:38 AM
Hey, despite not being a member of freepgs staff i can confirm the following:

Freepgs do not perform backups of user data
- However in this case they will attempt to retrieve as much data as they can (according to admin)

Both hard disks in the MYSQL5 server RAID array have now failed (according to admin)

In most cases, the data on the MySQL5 server should not be lost.  We are attempting to run a chkdsk operation on the drive now to see if any of the "missing" files can be recovered.  [Hopefully, most users will not have any missing tables or data]

Once this new drive is in, the array will be rebuilt.  The array is not able to keep up with demands at this time.  Attempted access may result in data loss.  Once the first failed drive is replaced, we will replace the second drive to ensure we have two good drives on the system.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

Well I guess I just found out the hard way, why the hosting here is so inexpensive :(

So no backups are done here at all?

While technically, Mysql database data can be divided between "user" and "system" data, it makes little sense to backup the  system data without backing up the actual *data*

Mike

brainiac744

They make it fairly well publicized that they do not do backups of any kind, it is your responsibility to do so. I'd recommend setting up some sort of automated script that would email the database to you, etc.

doctoreast

I downloaded a package called "MYSQL Administrator",
to do quick dbase backup/restore and maintenance on
my own computer.  I also made a folder called "Daily_Backups".

Doc

admin

MySQL Administrator is part of the MySQL GUI Tools and can be found on the MySQL website.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/index.html

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin