News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Image Magick

Started by bigbighuge, May 21, 2007, 09:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbighuge

Hi guys, just have to say, loving your service, I wish someone had something like this in Australia, but our bandwidth is astronomically priced. Its just a shame because I get the latency of cross-world traffic  :-[

Anyway, thats not why I am here, the reason I am here is this.

Is imagemagick installed on the freepgs servers? and if so, what is the path as my script (phpBB3 RC1) is unable to locate it. I couldn't find anything on this topic with the search so I assume this hasn't been bought up before, but apologies if it has. this isn't really an essential item and I can live without it, but I think phpBB3 has some cool features that only work if the server has imagemagick installed.

Thank you!

looie

Can you not install it on your own? I'm pretty sure they would've made a list with all the programs on if they had a lot.

brainiac744

I'm fairly certain that imagemagick has NOT been installed on this server (it used to be before it burned down), but I'm not 100% sure on that.

And in response to looie, you indeed cannot install imagemagick on the server unless you have access to the server directly or via a ssh account or similar. It's an actual program that runs on the server.

bigbighuge

yes, I am 99% sure you need to actually install ImageMagick as an addon/plugin to Apache, I don't think there is a cgi/php only version, though I will take a look around, I will post anything I find for future reference. Alot of apache installations install Imagemagick either by default or it is a simple "apt-get install apache2-imagemagick" kind of package, I know the last few apache setups I ran with had imagemagick enabled by default. maybe it has been disabled intentionally, because imagemagick involved server side processing and perhaps  it has been disabled to save processing power on the servers.

UPDATE: quoted from the imagemagick site

ImageMagick® is a software suite to create, edit, and compose bitmap images...

...The functionality of ImageMagick is typically utilized from the command line or you can use the features from programs written in your favorite programming language...

..MagickWand for PHP (PHP)...

okay so its an addon to PHP, sorry

looie

Ah, okay. And burnt down?!

admin

The imagemagick binaries themselves are installed, however, because the exec() function is disabled in PHP, you will most likely not be able to use them.

If there is a PHP module developed to access these files in a different way, we will try to locate it (and install it on this server)

There appears to be a PECL library called "imagick" that may help you.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

mcarp555

Quote from: looie on May 22, 2007, 02:48:29 PM
Ah, okay. And burnt down?!
About... what's it been now, two years ago? The building housing the server caught fire. All the hardware (and all the freepgs user data) was destroyed. It was a mess, but FP has come back better than ever.

looie

Yeah, I love FreePgs =P

bigbighuge

I will check out PECL "imagick" thanks

wow, so when it burnt down were there off site backups? or was it all just toasted?

bigbighuge

unfortunately after a bit of research, phpBB3 cannot use Imagemagick via PECL, it needs to have direct access to it, but I have been informed that apparently if imagemagick is not installed, it will default back to GD or GD2 so It's not as big of a deal as I thought

thanks guys!

brainiac744

That's great news, and unfortunately freepgs doesn't provide backups of user files so if the users hadn't backed up their data it was gone.

mcarp555

Yeah, I had backups of some of my data, but basically it's your job to keep current backups of your stuff. A lot of users lost everything, and it was down for about two months as I recall, while they rebuilt the system.

looie

I think FreePgs should expand and get a server in West Yorkshire, England ;)

bigbighuge

Quote from: looie on May 23, 2007, 11:37:08 PM
I think FreePgs should expand and get a server in West Yorkshire, England ;)

on that note, Australia!!! (please) haha, god internet is so expensive here, a once off freepgs setup fee would have to be like $8bn in order to keep it alive, thats it someone was joining the service at a rate of 2 per week at least. No but seriously, more like the price would have to be $800 for initial buy in