News:

The "Support Requests" forum is now viewable by guests.

Main Menu

serve index.html as default instead of index.php

Started by bigbighuge, August 02, 2006, 04:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbighuge

Hi, I'm new here, I just transfered my site and domains over here, I must say, it is a very impressive service.

however, I am having a few issues, in particular, with choosing an index file.

on my old apache2 webserver, if I had 2 files ie index.php and index.html, it would choose index.html to display when I put in the root directory http://www.bigbighuge.com.

normally to irraticate this issue, I would just delete one, but the problem I am having is that I need both files in the directory, my website is a VERY customised version of phpBB2 and the index.html redirects users to portal.php so as to use the phpBB as a base for a web-portal.

now the problem I am having is the server ignores the index.html file in favour of the index.php file, thus instead of the portal page being displayed (ie, my BLOG) the website jumps directly to the forum index, is there anyway for it to prefer the .html file? or am I going to have to do some serious thinking about the way my website works?

thanks in advance

Evilsprouts

Create an .htaccess file in your root and add this to it

DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

bigbighuge

I created a .htaccess file, but nothing changed... if it helps. I made a .htaccess file previously and it didn't do anything ( I was setting up a sub-domain) anyway, is there something I have to do to enable .htaccess files?

Evilsprouts

bigbighuge

OMG I'm an idiot lol,

.htacess instead of .htaccess

DAMN YOU SPELLING! YOU FOIL ME AGAIN!

thanks, its now working, thanks dude

Evilsprouts