News:

LVCS.NET offers low cost domain registration services.

Main Menu

FTP Access

Started by kstratton, May 10, 2006, 05:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kstratton

I use IE to FTP usually.  I haven't registered my own domain name, and was just using my default one (http://www.freepgs.com/username)  Do I need to go somewhere to set up a username or password to FTP?  When I try to access ftp.frepgs.com or ftp.frepgs.com/username I get a error message saying annonymous logins are not allowed, but it won't pop up the usual username/password dialog box.

Also:
I tried to create a database on my account and used the same characters for the username and password, which caused an error.  I tried to change the password, but it tells me that my database name is already in use.  If I view my databases however, it is not listed.

kstratton

Disregard the FTP thing, I'll just use a program for now (other than IE).  If someone could figure out how to fix my database though, I'd appreciate it ^^;

brainiac744

For IE FTP: When you get the error about anonymous logins just click the File menu and click "Login As" and you'll get the username/password box

For the database: Pick a different database name, somebody else on the server is probably using the database name that you're trying to create :)

kstratton

Thanks!  Didn't know IE let you do that.

and crap, cause I've got tons of files that all have that db name stored in them ^^;; 
Now if only I could VIEW the files that I'm uploading T.T

kstratton

Actually...shouldn't database names be unique for each user?  Don't really know a lot about it, but I'd think that'd be the case...

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: kstratton on May 11, 2006, 03:35:32 AM
Actually...shouldn't database names be unique for each user?  Don't really know a lot about it, but I'd think that'd be the case...

they're SUPPOSED to be but I remember one time me and some dude hd databases with teh same name and tehy got crossed together and I was viewing all his data. The best policy is to start all names with "username_". :)
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

brainiac744

Actually, not really. Everybody is using the same mysql server, so if you get that error it means that somebody else has already used that db name. (In other words, pick a different one). Indeed, username_ is the best way to go.

That error was hopefully a one time thing too...I remember it.

admin

Each database username and database name must be unique.

The only databases all users could view were those that started with "test_".  (This was later changed).

Do not use "test_" as the start of a database name as this defaults to allow global read access for testing purposes any time MySQL is upgraded.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: brainiac744 on May 11, 2006, 08:04:08 PM
Actually, not really. Everybody is using the same mysql server, so if you get that error it means that somebody else has already used that db name. (In other words, pick a different one). Indeed, username_ is the best way to go.

That error was hopefully a one time thing too...I remember it.

Well what happened is that I had a DB called "DATA" for like 2 years. And all the sudden when I went to look at my files, every once in a while I'd try to refresh and I'd see somone elses files, and I was actualy able to go into his forum's posts and edit them through PHP MyAdmin. I told freepgs and the guy about it but I decided just to use my username and that fixed it.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

admin

Again, this was because the other user had used "test_" in his database name.

At that time, any database created that started with "test_" was allowed access by anyone.  Your database was not accessible to this other user.  (This is no longer the case)

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin