News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

My Website and Search Engines

Started by mackass, March 11, 2006, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackass

Hi, I currently have my site on the Plesk (www.mackass.com) and I recently entered my site domain into a Google search, and I was amazed to find my site at the top. Well, no problems there, but on the actual search result, there's a link to all the pages within my website. Now, theoretically, I only have one website page, all the subpages are within one page i.e. index.php?view=about or index.php?view=contact etc. Now, does anyone know why those subpages are being bought up by Google in the "More Results" link? They're meant to be outputted in a dedicated frame which is for the site navigation, and when clicked via the Google search, all it shows is the content, no main layout as it is not being outputted via the site frame.

What I want to know is, is there anyway I can stop Search Engines from bringing up those pages? Instead, I would only like them to return my 'index.php' or 'index.php?show=' page, no other page or subpage. Is there a script I can implement to stop the robots or crawlers doing this? By the way, I've not registered my website with Google, it just happened to be on there.

Sorry if it's hard to grasp, I don't really know how to explain it properly myself, but if you type my domain into Google, you'll understand. :)

webzone (archived)

There is only one solution:

Block search engine access to anything except the "parent page" containing the frame. If you do this, search engines will only index the text on your main page. All text on other pages will be completely ignored and a search for words on those pages will not return anything.

You can block search engines using robots.txt. You can search for it on Google and you'll find tutorials and generators for that file.

Edit: I forgot to precise that search engines do not index a frameset as a whole. They break it down in part, as you noticed, and index every part individually. So, it is not possible to ask Google to index a page but to return it in a frameset.

mackass

Damn, well that's cool then, thanks webzone.

Dan

I know javascript can be used to break out of frames, perhaps there is a way to do the opposite? (In each of your pages check if its in a frame, if not, then refresh it in a frame) Just an idea.

webzone (archived)

QuoteI know javascript can be used to break out of frames, perhaps there is a way to do the opposite? (In each of your pages check if its in a frame, if not, then refresh it in a frame) Just an idea.

Might work, but it is not always a reliable way to do it. Also, redirecting humans but not search engines is a technique commonly used by search engine spammers, so it might not be appreciated. Google does not recommend it at all:

Quote from: Google Webmaster GuidelinesDon't employ cloaking or sneaky redirects.