News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Multiple Domains

Started by klumsi, January 23, 2006, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klumsi

Hi there, am I able to host 2 domains with two separate sites on one account?

I have one domain currently, but i am aslo adding another domain. The new domain however, will need a separate site.

Is this possible on my preexisting account, or do i need to purchase another plan to host the new domain/site?

Thanks

webzone (archived)

Quote from: gordonEvery account has 6 domain slots, if you use www. and non www. that takes two slots.

Basically, you can use up to 3 domains if you choose to make them available with and without www.

However, you cannot serve different content for the two domains unless you use a .htaccess hack (as documented in a different thread). The hack is not hard to implement and works quite well.

klumsi

THanks for the reply. I'll try the .htaccess method after the domain is linked to my freepgs acct.
If this doesn't work out for me, i can just buy another plan, i suppose.

zen

Quote from: klumsi on January 23, 2006, 04:43:25 PM
THanks for the reply. I'll try the .htaccess method after the domain is linked to my freepgs acct.
If this doesn't work out for me, i can just buy another plan, i suppose.
If you can afford a second plan it will be better to buy another plan as it cost you $3 only if you need a little more space. The .htaccess is the poor man's method it has problem with some search engine.
The reason is some search engine may see two URl with the same content when you use .htaccess to redirect. The first URL  is the www.your1stdomain.com/directory_of_2nd_ domain/ the other is the www.your2nddomain.com. Some of the search engine will think one of this URL as copycat site and it don't get listed well or not listed at all on their search result.

webzone (archived)

Quoteit has problem with some search engine

although i agree that another plan is easier, .htaccess has no problem whatsoever with search engines if you implement it properly. it is meant to be used by a user who creates a subdirectory per domain and then associates them with the right domains.

anyway our content is already duplicated (freepgs url + domain)

zen

Quote from: webzone on January 25, 2006, 05:03:14 AM
.htaccess has no problem whatsoever with search engines if you implement it properly.
The problem is not .htaccess.
The problem is search engine don't like spam. This is about search engine spam not email spam.
Search engine spammer has use technique similar to this mathod and result in search engine becoming sensitive to duplicate site and duplicate content.
Sure all freepgs site with domain are duplicated once but doing it twice is not a great ideas. As most users of freepgas build community site and don't depends much on search engine so it not a big issue.
Professional hosting normally don't provided you a URL for the same reason.

Check this out
http://www.rlrouse.com/prevent-getting-banned.html
http://www.pandia.com/features/banned.html

webzone (archived)

I perfectly know what you were talking about and my comment still applies.

Search engines will not see the content two times if .htaccess was coded properly.

sixthcrusifix

well you could just use redirection in your domains, your domain host should allow it.

You could have a directory for yoru other site and have your otehr domain point to that directory. It's not aestheticlally pleasing but really people aren't to bitchy about it.

It'd probably be best to get two plans for bandwidth reasons. WIth 1 plan you are still restricted to THAT bandwidth limit, with 2 plans you have their bandwidth limits on each plan.

So if onw of your sites exceded teh limit teh other wouldn't suffer.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com