News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Has the PHP version changed or something?

Started by mackass, January 14, 2006, 02:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackass

This is because my PHP scripting, which has been working fine for the past 6 months or so, has suddenly stopped working properly as of yesterday. I've not made any changes to the scripting, and I haven't done so in the past couple of months, which is why I'm trying to find out why it's stopped working.

You'll probably say 'change or fix the script', but the problem is, I can't locate the problem and I cannot fix it. I've tried uploading backups from several months ago, but even they aren't functioning.

I used to be on the Freepgs.com server before the unfortunate accident, now I'm on the Plesk, and I have my nameservers pointed at Plesk1/Plesk2.

Anyone have any ideas?

admin

Please provide more details.

Your site was moved to the new Plesk server.  It is possible that the new server does not have whatever module your site/script requires to function.  Please provide the name of the script you have having problem with and the error messages you receive.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

mackass

Well, it's basically the navigation around the site that's decided to act up.

www.freepgs.com/futurefash // That's how the hyperlinks on the sidebar are supossed to function

www.mackass.com // All of a sudden, all links have failed to work. Was working for the past 6 months with no problems.

They're both my websites by the way.

admin

Are one of these websites on the Plesk server and the other on the FreePgs server?

Please be sure all paths are correctly identified.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

mackass

The paths are correct as they have been working on the Plesk since my account was restored a couple of months back. What I'm trying to say is, the Mackass site has been working for the past couple of months on the Plesk with no problems, and overnight, it literally decided to stop functioning properly and that I can't locate the problem, nor why the change occured. I made no changes to the coding of the pages, which is why I'm left clueless.  ???

brainiac744

Is your script relying on register_globals to be on?

That is, do you try to call "get" variables from the URL like this: $variable, or this $_GET['variable']

Perhaps register_globals has been turned off?

mackass

Yeah, the variables in the URL don't seem to send from page to page.

How would I turn it on?

brainiac744

I'm not sure if there is a way to turn it on or off in Plesk, you could try going to the top of the script and explicitly setting the variable like so:

$variable = $_GET['variable'];

mackass

Could this be down to the server change? Perhaps register_globals was turned on on the old server, and now turned off on the new server?

brainiac744

Yep, it's possible because it's a setting in the php.ini file.

mackass

Ah, hopefully, Freepgs can be kind enough to enable it if it's not too much of a problem.  ;D

webzone (archived)

register_globals can be set on a per-account basis.

For the FreePgs system, you can make these changes in the Scripting Options section of the control panel.

For Plesk, you can enable register_globals simply by adding the following line to /httpdocs/.htaccess (you may need to create this file). Replace on by off to disable the setting and remove the line to restore the defaults :
php_flag register_globals on

mackass

Ah, it works now, thanks for the help admin, brainiac744 and webzone. :)

By the way, does anyone happen to know what .htaccess initially contained? I remember it had two short lines of code before, but when I viewed the file just now, it was empty.

webzone (archived)

QuoteBy the way, does anyone happen to know what .htaccess initially contained? I remember it had two short lines of code before, but when I viewed the file just now, it was empty.

.htaccess does not exist by default. You have to create it or to upload a script that creates it, so the contents are different for every user.

niekverw

I have the same problem (http://www.mysisterharold.com) i have a account on plesk/freepgs (niekverw) any ideas how to enable the php?