News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Installing and using Cutenews.....

Started by kyoki, December 10, 2005, 06:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyoki

I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what im doing wrong in installing cutenews 1.4.1 via ftp:

I downloaded and unzipped the file and have tried many times to upload the contained "cutenews" folder but everytime i click on it it automatically opens the file. Do I have to upload each file one by one manually? Personally i think that is impossible seeing as there are so many files with the same names in the folder that half of them would have been overwrited in the process. And im sure i dont have to rename the files before I upload them, otherwise the turorials ive been using would have told me so....and it would be awfully inconvenient. I was thinking about uploading the file still zipped and then figuring it all out from there somehow before the whole datacenter thing. Would that be a legit thing to do or is there something im not doing quite right....or am just plain missing.

Other than that....could someone please make a tutorials category on the forums, it would be very much appreciated and im sure many other freepgs members/users would absolutely love the idea. And if/when that actually becomes a reality could someone(a very generous and kind-hearted someone :D)please post/submit a how to install and use cutenews tutorial.

Thank you  :-*

webzone (archived)

Are you using an FTP client or the FreePgs file manager?

kyoki

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: kyoki on December 10, 2005, 08:24:36 PM
the freepgs ftp

you can't upload a folder with freepgs.com's ftp thing. You need to get an FTP client.

I don't have links at teh moment but you should google these, they're really good:

Filezilla
SmartFTP
Coffee Cup FTP

Filezilla is the best according to gordon. SmartFTP is easy and loads quick and is totaly free, coffe cup is okay but you can't edit files with it without paying.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

webzone (archived)

The advantage Filezilla has is to be a free, open-source project that is actively developed.

You can download it there -> http://sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558&package_id=15149

kyoki

i downloaded smart ftp and am connected to my site but I still cant figure out how to install cutenews. The folder still keeps opening instead of just uploading. Again, should i just upload it zipped rather than unzipped.

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: kyoki on December 11, 2005, 03:53:08 PM
i downloaded smart ftp and am connected to my site but I still cant figure out how to install cutenews. The folder still keeps opening instead of just uploading. Again, should i just upload it zipped rather than unzipped.

well maybe download filezilla, with an ftp program that shouldn't happen but it's been a whie since I've used Smart FTP.

Too bad you don't have Dreamweaver, other than only allown 1 connection, and being a bit slower, it's really good. Lets' you upload folders and whatnot.
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

kyoki

kyoki

okay, i downloaded filezilla and i cant figure out how to upload files/folders...or basically anything. wheres the option?

webzone (archived)

Quoteokay, i downloaded filezilla and i cant figure out how to upload files/folders...or basically anything. wheres the option?

Just drag the folder from your desktop (assuming it is there) and drop it in the right pane of the Filezilla window once you are connected.

kyoki

oh.... got it. thanx so much guys for helping. :-*

kyoki

does anyone know how i can CHMOD the files using filezilla?

kyoki

nvm....figured it out.

Btw, if no one minds.....im most likely going to have questions about the cutenews thing untill im finished with it completely...so if anyone doesnt mind im going to keep asking questions here. ITs jsut so much easier than spendng hours trying to figure it out on my own. So yeah. Thanx for all of your help so far.:D