News:

The "Support Requests" forum is now viewable by guests.

Main Menu

browscap.ini? Please and thankyou?

Started by neosquared, May 14, 2006, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neosquared

Is there any chance we could get browscap.ini installed so that we can use get_browser()?
This really would make my life easier, and I'm sure there are others that would feel the same way.
Don't take servers for granted.
Everything is flammable, if you get it hot enough.
Visit my website!  It'll make you cooler!

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: neosquared on May 14, 2006, 07:04:18 AM
Is there any chance we could get browscap.ini installed so that we can use get_browser()?
This really would make my life easier, and I'm sure there are others that would feel the same way.

can't you just use $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']? And then look for the info? There are only 2 or 3 browsers that are worth carign about so you wont have much to look for (Okay, maybe MAYBE 6 browsers but honestly, Anyone who isn't using firefox by  choice, doesn't deserve to look at my site, I spit on them. I have only included IE support for those who are not enlightened yet)
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

neosquared

True, I suppose I could - but it starts to get a lot more complicated once you start checking for specific versions of specific browsers on specific operating systems..  And get_browser() makes all of that easy to the point of it being cheating.  :P  It would really simplify my code, and make my life that much easier.

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: neosquared on May 18, 2006, 06:33:26 AM
True, I suppose I could - but it starts to get a lot more complicated once you start checking for specific versions of specific browsers on specific operating systems..  And get_browser() makes all of that easy to the point of it being cheating.  :P  It would really simplify my code, and make my life that much easier.

well that sounds cool, but why do you need all that information?

neosquared

Well, there are just some things you can't do with CSS.  :P  At the moment I'm using it to make a browser detection script so that some images I have that fade to the background look great in almost everything, and fairly decent in IE.  And if IE 7 supports alpha transparency, I'm gonna have to add in version checking as well.
Although I am aware that there are ways to get IE 6 to do alpha transparency, I'd rather just stick to something short, sweet, and to the point.
Plus I think you can use it for crawler detection as well, at least to some extent..  Could come in handy if you've got an intro page or something to that end that you want to redirect search engine crawlers past.

sixthcrusifix

Well this is really still something that CAN be done just using HTTP_USER_AGENT. I do the exact same thing except I just did it to give IE users GIFS and FireFox users PNGs. I don't care about IE users not seeing a pretty site because I'm trying to help firefox get ahead of IE and the only way to make people wanna use firefox (teh betetr browser) is not to keep adding full support for both, but to stop addign extra support for IE. It might be a little detramental to your site at first but the end result is worth it.

Anyway I'm 99% sure that we don't need the .ini. Just like the md5 encryption you can probably find the actual scrit somewhere and just stick it on a .php file in your site. But I dunno much about it.

brainiac744

Why do you care so much that it doesn't get installed sixthcrusifix? If it's installed and you don't want to use it just don't, but don't deny somebody else the ability to use something just because you see no point to it...

dest

Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 21, 2006, 08:16:22 PM
Well this is really still something that CAN be done just using HTTP_USER_AGENT. I do the exact same thing except I just did it to give IE users GIFS and FireFox users PNGs. I don't care about IE users not seeing a pretty site because I'm trying to help firefox get ahead of IE and the only way to make people wanna use firefox (teh betetr browser) is not to keep adding full support for both, but to stop addign extra support for IE. It might be a little detramental to your site at first but the end result is worth it.

Anyway I'm 99% sure that we don't need the .ini. Just like the md5 encryption you can probably find the actual scrit somewhere and just stick it on a .php file in your site. But I dunno much about it.

Firefox 1.5 seems to get GIFs :P
meh :P

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: dest on May 21, 2006, 09:56:53 PM
Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 21, 2006, 08:16:22 PM

Firefox 1.5 seems to get GIFs :P

No I know (I'm not quite that retarded...) I'm saying that  gifs are BAD THINGS that look CRAPPY when they have transparency. SO the good Firefox users get PNGs that look pretty and the stupid IE users get to have ugly, choppy GIFs.

Quote from: brainiac744 on May 21, 2006, 08:57:08 PM
Why do you care so much that it doesn't get installed sixthcrusifix? If it's installed and you don't want to use it just don't, but don't deny somebody else the ability to use something just because you see no point to it...

Hey I never said we shouldn't have it I'm just saying he shouldn't put his site development on hold just because we don't. Hell I'd use it in a heart beat it sounds like a great idea. I was just trying to present alternatives until it was installed if it ever does get installed.

brainiac744

Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 22, 2006, 08:30:37 AM
No I know (I'm not quite that retarded...) I'm saying that  gifs are BAD THINGS that look CRAPPY when they have transparency. SO the good Firefox users get PNGs that look pretty and the stupid IE users get to have ugly, choppy GIFs.

No, no, what he's saying is that people using firefox 1.5 on your site (I assume you mean crystalchasm) are getting gifs, not pngs. I know this to be true also as I visited and got gifs. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong area though  :-\

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: brainiac744 on May 22, 2006, 08:27:55 PM
Quote from: sixthcrusifix on May 22, 2006, 08:30:37 AM

No, no, what he's saying is that people using firefox 1.5 on your site (I assume you mean crystalchasm) are getting gifs, not pngs. I know this to be true also as I visited and got gifs. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong area though  :-\

Oh yeah everyone's getting gifs at the moment because my site is "down" except whenever my site is under maintenence I keep it technically up just in case I need to test things. I'm currently redesigning ALL of my images from scratch. loll, so yes everyone is getting gifs at the moment but it's only temporary.