News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Signups Disabled

Started by admin, July 28, 2017, 01:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Unfortunately, we have been forced to disable signups due to an influx of fraudulent accounts being created that are then used for phishing websites, spam, etc.
This event caused a disruption of service to any client on our NYC server today for about 5 hours.  This server is also where our billing and support system along with this forum are located.

We are evaluating our next steps.  Some options we are considering:

-Shutting down the entire service and refunding the unused portion.
-Keeping signup disabled and servicing the existing customers until their end of term.
-Allowing the existing customers to stay on the system as long as they desire, but this will require us to finally get rid of all of the extra Plesk servers to bring our costs down.

Please feel free to post any suggestions on this thread.

Thank you.

h3rb1

Quote from: admin on July 28, 2017, 01:43:05 PM
-Allowing the existing customers to stay on the system as long as they desire, but this will require us to finally get rid of all of the extra Plesk servers to bring our costs down.

I Agree with this option. The service and offerings has gotten better over the years and I personally would like it to stay.

Would a "referral" or "authentication" system work for new sign-ups?
So, this way current customers could invite "trusted" friends that may want to sign-up (2 per year), hopefully that curb fraudulent accounts

admin

Quote from: h3rb1 on July 28, 2017, 05:04:58 PM
Quote from: admin on July 28, 2017, 01:43:05 PM

I Agree with this option. The service and offerings has gotten better over the years and I personally would like it to stay.

Would a "referral" or "authentication" system work for new sign-ups?
So, this way current customers could invite "trusted" friends that may want to sign-up (2 per year), hopefully that curb fraudulent accounts

Yes, this is something we will consider.  Thank you for the suggestion.

markjay

Just saw this now and I support the third option.

Quote from: admin on July 28, 2017, 01:43:05 PM-Allowing the existing customers to stay on the system as long as they desire, but this will require us to finally get rid of all of the extra Plesk servers to bring our costs down.

Hopefully we can get legitimate customers like what h3rb1 said.