News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

2nd downtime?

Started by queefer, December 15, 2005, 12:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

queefer

Hi, I can't get on my site. Is this the second downtime this month???

queefer

ghost

What is a 'RAID array' anyways?  ???
- Ghost -

queefer

When will the sites be back up??

Ben

RAID: Redundant Array of Independant Disks
I believe FreePgs uses RAID-5, so here's a definition of that:

RAID-5: This type includes a rotating parity array, thus addressing the write limitation in RAID-4. Thus, all read and write operations can be overlapped. RAID-5 stores parity information but not redundant data (but parity information can be used to reconstruct data). RAID-5 requires at least three and usually five disks for the array. It's best for multi-user systems in which performance is not critical or which do few write operations.

As for when the sites will be back up, sometime soon hopefully. I've been able to connect to FreePgs at some times, so I don't know...
--Ben
Ben@freepgs.com

wipeout

not cool, i need to update my site i was about to relaunch! Not cool!!!!! Hope it gets fixed soon!

admin

The system is currently back up and running.

(No data was lost, we rebuilt the Array so if one drive would fail, no data would be lost)

The RAID array was "degraded" when we had the power problems at the DC (when the power was reset 4 times within a 30 minute period)

The system was running on 3 of the 4 drives.  I did not realize this until I visited the server and noticed the failed drive lights.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

wipeout