News:

Click here for Toll-Free Service for your business starting at $2.00 per month

Main Menu

Email and Domain names, HOW?

Started by sixthcrusifix, November 29, 2005, 08:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixthcrusifix

I have crystalchasm.net and it works great. bUt I want people to be able to email me at Admin@crystalchasm.net.

Unfortunately the people I bought the domain from don't offer any service.  I got an account at superhost.com and aparently I can point my name servers towards it and have a catchall email account there. But the webhosting sucks, I wanna keep freepgs. I guess I can't host with freepgs and get email through superhost so what am I to do?
Visite me website at http://www.sixthcrusifix.com

webzone (archived)

Basically, you can host your website at freepgs and have your mail hosted elsewhere. Just set your A records to point to freepgs and your MX records to point to the mail exchanger of your choice.

There are a few alternatives I could tell you about :
- You could contact the admin to try to get an e-mail address for your account (not sure, he may accept but I never tried so I don't know);
- You could use a service like Live Domains (domains.live.com) by MSN to host your email by setting your MX records appropriately.
- You could try to use ZoneEdit (www.zoneedit.com). I use their service for one of my domains. Once I pointed my domain to their nameservers, I could choose to foward e-mail messages I receive to the address I select.

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: webzone on November 29, 2005, 09:14:35 PM
Basically, you can host your website at freepgs and have your mail hosted elsewhere. Just set your A records to point to freepgs and your MX records to point to the mail exchanger of your choice.

- You could contact the admin to try to get an e-mail address for your account (not sure, he may accept but I never tried so I don't know);
- You could use a service like Live Domains (domains.live.com) by MSN to host your email by setting your MX records appropriately.
- You could try to use ZoneEdit (www.zoneedit.com). I use their service for one of my domains. Once I pointed my domain to their nameservers, I could choose to foward e-mail messages I receive to the address I select.

sounds good but.. what are mx records? At hostway.com basically all I can physically change is where the nameservers are pointed and that's about it.

admin

If you are pointing to our nameservers, there are a few options to select.
(None of these require any changes on your part if you are pointed to the nameservers listed in the "Setup Domains" section of the Options panel)

1) Transfer your domain to the LVCS.NET domain registrar.  This will extend your expiration by one year and allow you to use the one free POP account and 100 forwarders that are included.

2) We can setup a free catch-all forwarder that points to another email address

3) We can point your domain to the Plesk system (for email services only)

4) You can purchase a mail account at LVCS.NET for your domain name.

Please use the Contact Form to tell us which option you have selected.  If you use the LVCS.NET options and your domain is pointed to our nameservers, no changes need to be made.

sixthcrusifix

Quote from: admin on November 29, 2005, 10:25:22 PM
If you are pointing to our nameservers, there are a few options to select.
(None of these require any changes on your part if you are pointed to the nameservers listed in the "Setup Domains" section of the Options panel)

1) Transfer your domain to the LVCS.NET domain registrar.  This will extend your expiration by one year and allow you to use the one free POP account and 100 forwarders that are included.

2) We can setup a free catch-all forwarder that points to another email address

4) You can purchase a mail account at LVCS.NET for your domain name.

Please use the Contact Form to tell us which option you have selected.  If you use the LVCS.NET options and your domain is pointed to our nameservers, no changes need to be made.
\

thank you for the info. I'll probably take the catchall option. Then I can pretend I have like 30 different accounts , loll.

But I'm going to go to LVCS.net to see about transfering my domain name, that sounds like a good ideo too.

~Mr-Freeze~

will free mail be added to normal accounts?

or is there another way
my domain only lets me add the name server and contact info

admin

Please see the options provided to the other user (above).

Free email accounts will not be provided with the hosting account.  You can transfer your domain to LVCS.NET or purchase email accounts there.  We can also setup a catchall alias that points something@yourdomain.com to another email account.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

sh33zo

What if I have a .ca? I dont think .ca domains are available with lvcs!? (Canadian .ca)
I want to be able to have an email address with my domain, can we select option #3?

Also if select the catchall feature.
Which email do they see when I reply to them?
The email address it was forwarded to or my domain address? ???

webzone (archived)

QuoteWhat if I have a .ca? I dont think .ca domains are available with lvcs!? (Canadian .ca)

Indeed, I think that country-specific domains can not be obtained from registrars in other countries (ie. US cannot get .ca).

QuoteI want to be able to have an email address with my domain, can we select option #3?

As the admin said above, you have to make your request through the contact form.

sh33zo

OK will see how it goes!
Thank for your help!
Sh33zo

Do you think I can just ask the admin to change my mx and A name setting to point to my registrar website because they give a free mailbox hosted on their website.
But i cant get receive any emails.
I can send but not receive.?!
weird!

webzone (archived)

QuoteBut i cant get receive any emails.
I can send but not receive.?!
weird!

You probably pointed your domain to the FreePgs nameservers. Receiving mails on a domain is controlled by the MX record, and this record might be missing from your domain info.

QuoteDo you think I can just ask the admin to change my mx and A name setting to point to my registrar website because they give a free mailbox hosted on their website.

Changing your A records will break your website as they need to point to your host (FreePgs) and not to your registrar. You can probably ask for a change in your MX records however. The best way to know is to ask.

sh33zo

true!
mx record is for mail right!
Well i sent the admin a copy of the ticket I opened with them!
So i he reads it all he will have a good idea of my situation.
OK now i have to be patient!
lol
Thank you dude!
Your Very helpful!

sh33zo

Quote from: webzone on November 29, 2005, 09:14:35 PM

hmm ok can I do this?
Go with the zoneedit route.
point my nameserver from my registrar to zoneedit and then from zoneedit point to freepgs.com name server and the mx record to point to my registrars?
would be more what i need right?
hmm ... ???

admin

When using your registrar's email services, it is best to point to their nameservers and use their DNS Management service to add "DNS Records" that point to our service.

When pointing to our email service, you can use our Free mail forwarders (We can even possibly create a freepgs.com POP account for these to be delivered to) or you can use our Plesk system for mail.

Thank you,
FreePgs.com Admin

FaeLLe

Another easy option is to use the Microsoft Live service whereby you can point your MX records to their servers and create unlimited email addresses through their interface.

And then you can sign in to hotmail using your email address and access the account through the webmail service.

Easy peasy option :D